Tuesday, April 7, 2009
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN
Yep, good buddies!!! I am back in the saddle again. After being on the sidelines for close to 6 weeks, I was put back behind the wheel and got a load. At about 4:30 in the afternoon on Sunday I pulled out of West Memphis heading for Prescott, Arkansas. I had a load of materials for Firestone Tire Company. I drove about 230 miles to Prescott and arrived there about 8:30. Found a Love's truck stop and actually backed my truck into a spot with little problem. I really enjoyed the drive. It was windy, but very sunny most of the way and it was exciting to be back up high in the air, looking down at all the cars flying by me. The 4 wheelers are like a buzz of bees flying all around. I delivered the load to Firestone early Monday morning and then went to a truck stop just down the road to wait. In addition to getting the load to Prescott, I had also been preplanned for a load to be picked up in Conway, Arkansas to be taken to Joplin. Well, if you read my previous post you know I was wanting to go to Joplin. Isn't the Lord great. He knew what I needed and He provided. Couldn't live without Him. The only problem with was that I had to wait until 4:00 Monday afternoon to pick up the load in Conway. Prescott is only about 120 miles from Conway and it only takes about 2 hours to drive that. It was only 8:30 in the morning and so I had to sit. If I left too early I would run out of hours allowed to drive and then I would be late with my delivery in Joplin. Well, there was a little restaurant at the truck stop and I went in and ate breakfast. Then I went for a walk and after that took a nap. Doesn't that all sound exciting? At about 1:00 in the afternoon I left Prescott. A couple hours later I was in Conway and they loaded my truck right away. Left Conway and made it into Joplin at about 8:30 last night.
One thing I have noticed about the U.S. is that it is a gorgeous country. Arkansas is so pretty. And very hilly. The load I brought up here weighed about 42,000 pounds and there were times, when on I-540, that the truck crawled up the hills at 30 to 35 mph. Having the trucks governed really affects the power needed to get up the hills. If the KW's were not governed there would be no problem getting up the hills. OH WELL. Speaking of the load from Conway to Joplin, the trailer was full of things like vanilla wafers, cookies, goodies like that. That is a lot of stuff to weigh 42,000 lbs. Makes you think about giving up cookies, doesn't it?
Well, now I am sitting, waiting for my truck to get out of the shop. Here is the laundry list of things needing to be done; remove the upper bunk and put in a shelf; put in a new mattress (the previous driver was a smoker and putting a new mattress in will help get rid of the smell); put in my inverter and CB radio; replace the electric mirror switch; replace the windshield; get a PM; do a wheel alignment. Am I forgetting anything? I don't think so. I really am happy about getting rid of the upper bunk. There was no upper bunk in my first truck and so I could sit on my rack and work with my computer without bending my head down. I can't do that in this truck and I was getting a sore neck. So, that is being corrected. Oh, I forgot to tell you about my radio. It does not work. So, they are going to replace that. Have to have a radio. Yesterday as I was driving I had problems because I thought too much about Rich. Made the drive up here kind of long and sad for me. I will be very glad to get the radio replaced. It will give my mind something else to think about.
I was thinking about trying to take a week off in May. Looks like that is not going to happen. I might take a day or two off so I can pick up Millie. But, I want to go and spend some time in Oregon with my Mom in June. If I do not take time off in May then I will have 8 or 10 days to spend in Oregon in June. So, that is what I am planning to do.
I have several trucking buddies I talk to on the cell almost every day. We always like to call each other and find out where everyone is located. One couple, Tim and Flo, who I spoke of before, have been in Virgina. They are now headed back toward Arkansas and said it is snowing where they are located right now. They have asked for time off so they can celebrate passover. I also talked to my friend Vicki. Vicki was my finisher when I first began driving for Conway. A newbie driver who is just out of school is assigned an experienced driver. This finisher rides in the truck while the newbie drives. Vicki helped me learn how to drive up and down mountains, learn more about backing, use the qualcomm, complete our logbook properly, slide the tandems. Things like that. Well, Vicki has become a good friend of mine and we talk to each other almost every day. While I was home for the last few weeks she called often to see how I was doing. Tim and Flo called me quite often, too. Anyway, Vicki has a new student and they got a load going to Washington state. Boy, am I envious of that!! I know I shouldn't be, but getting out to the west coast is something I would really like to do. Especially going to the pacific northwest. One of these days that will happen.
Well, I guess I have talked long enough for one day. All of you take care, drive safe, and enjoy life. God bless you all!!
One thing I have noticed about the U.S. is that it is a gorgeous country. Arkansas is so pretty. And very hilly. The load I brought up here weighed about 42,000 pounds and there were times, when on I-540, that the truck crawled up the hills at 30 to 35 mph. Having the trucks governed really affects the power needed to get up the hills. If the KW's were not governed there would be no problem getting up the hills. OH WELL. Speaking of the load from Conway to Joplin, the trailer was full of things like vanilla wafers, cookies, goodies like that. That is a lot of stuff to weigh 42,000 lbs. Makes you think about giving up cookies, doesn't it?
Well, now I am sitting, waiting for my truck to get out of the shop. Here is the laundry list of things needing to be done; remove the upper bunk and put in a shelf; put in a new mattress (the previous driver was a smoker and putting a new mattress in will help get rid of the smell); put in my inverter and CB radio; replace the electric mirror switch; replace the windshield; get a PM; do a wheel alignment. Am I forgetting anything? I don't think so. I really am happy about getting rid of the upper bunk. There was no upper bunk in my first truck and so I could sit on my rack and work with my computer without bending my head down. I can't do that in this truck and I was getting a sore neck. So, that is being corrected. Oh, I forgot to tell you about my radio. It does not work. So, they are going to replace that. Have to have a radio. Yesterday as I was driving I had problems because I thought too much about Rich. Made the drive up here kind of long and sad for me. I will be very glad to get the radio replaced. It will give my mind something else to think about.
I was thinking about trying to take a week off in May. Looks like that is not going to happen. I might take a day or two off so I can pick up Millie. But, I want to go and spend some time in Oregon with my Mom in June. If I do not take time off in May then I will have 8 or 10 days to spend in Oregon in June. So, that is what I am planning to do.
I have several trucking buddies I talk to on the cell almost every day. We always like to call each other and find out where everyone is located. One couple, Tim and Flo, who I spoke of before, have been in Virgina. They are now headed back toward Arkansas and said it is snowing where they are located right now. They have asked for time off so they can celebrate passover. I also talked to my friend Vicki. Vicki was my finisher when I first began driving for Conway. A newbie driver who is just out of school is assigned an experienced driver. This finisher rides in the truck while the newbie drives. Vicki helped me learn how to drive up and down mountains, learn more about backing, use the qualcomm, complete our logbook properly, slide the tandems. Things like that. Well, Vicki has become a good friend of mine and we talk to each other almost every day. While I was home for the last few weeks she called often to see how I was doing. Tim and Flo called me quite often, too. Anyway, Vicki has a new student and they got a load going to Washington state. Boy, am I envious of that!! I know I shouldn't be, but getting out to the west coast is something I would really like to do. Especially going to the pacific northwest. One of these days that will happen.
Well, I guess I have talked long enough for one day. All of you take care, drive safe, and enjoy life. God bless you all!!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]