Saturday, March 28, 2009

 

I'm Back!!!

Well, trucking fans, I am back!!! I have heard your call for me to get started on the blog again, and here we are. The last time I made an entry was back in August of 2008 and I was in one of my favorite locations, Laredo. Since then I have been to many other places and also have had some tragedy in my life. The trucking part of my life is very exciting. I love to travel and as I have become more experienced at my driving, including backing, the more fun driving has become. And there are so many beautiful places in this country to see. You RVers need to get out there and see it if you have not had the opportunity to go. I realize it can be difficult because of the expenses involved, but God made this earth for us to enjoy and you need to get out there to see all the wonders God has created.

One of the things I am impressed with in regards to driving a truck is that there are many women truck drivers out there and many of them are senior citizens. I have seen quite a few male seniors out there, too. Truck driving is not just a young mans profession. The trucking companies are not as interested in having the drivers unload or load the freight because the driver could be injured. Even during these recession times there are not enough drivers and the ones the companies have do not need to be injured.

My company, Conway Truckload, is a great company to drive for. They really stress safety and I like that. We have schedules to keep, but they are very strict about getting our loads to the customers legally. That makes the roads much more safe for all of us. I like taking my time getting places. I try not to drive much faster than 62 and I like keeping my distance from other vehicles. I want to give myself an out in case of emergencies.

I got my experience under fire as far as driving in the snow. Back in early December I was given a load of Campbells Soup in Maxton, NC to take to Tewksbury, Mass. I got up there just fine. Came within about 7 miles of Boston. The traffic was awful and I spent a considerable amount of time in stop and go traffic. But, I got to my customer with no problems. I was allowed to park at the customer for the night. There was no snow on the ground that night. Next morning my truck was unloaded and I was then given a new load to pick up in Bardstown, Mass. It was a load of rolled paper. Very heavy. I needed to get fuel to continue on down the road and stopped at a truck stop nearby. As I was fueling the snow began to fall. Well, after fueling I drove the truck into the parking area and was going to just park and wait the snow out. But, then I figured, being in Mass that the roads would get cleared and there should be no problems. So, I left the safety of that big, beautiful truck stop and headed out for my next destination. Should have listened to my first instinct, which I am sure was the Holy Spirit. The next thing I know the roads are getting knee deep with snow and traffic is going very slowly. The snow was coming down so fast that the road crews could not keep up and they decided to wait until the snow stopped to begin clearing the roads. I kept on going, followed other big rigs down the road, kept my speed down and about 9 hours later found a truck stop in Newburgh, NY where I could stop for the night. I had only gone about 150 miles before I stopped. My load was suppose to be in Durham, NC in a couple days, so I had plenty of time. Anyway, that was quite an experience and I did just fine. It was good to have a heavy load because that helped keep traction and made the trip safer for me and everyone around me. I learned something about driving in snow. I have trucker friends I talk to quite often. One couple told me that if it seems there is not very good traction when snow is on the ground, pour some liquid bleach on the tires and traction will improve considerably. The bleach makes the rubber a little softer and the reaction will last up to 200 miles. Learn something new all the time, don't we?

As I said, I have had some tragedy in my life. I had just come off a great week of off time here in Dover. Spent the time with my husband, Rich, and all my animals. I had 2 horses, 2 llamas and a precious collie dog by the name of Least'un. We had a wonderful time together and when I had to leave it seemed to be very difficult to go this time. I was sent up to St. Louis to pick up a beer load and was told to deliver it to a little town in Arkansas. I made the delivery and then was sent down to West Memphis to get another load. Conway Truckload has a terminal in West Memphis. I was given a load destined for Houston and Sugarland, Texas. I got down there and after delivery I was sent to LaPorte, Texas to pick a load that was going to Stockton, California. I was so excited about getting this load. It was great miles and I was going to get to stay in good weather. I talked to Rich that night, Thursday evening. He had been to the doctor that day and was told to go to the emergency room because his blood sugar and blood pressure were way up. His voice sounded kind of rough that night, but he sounded happy. So I did not press him to go to the emergency room that night. After we hung up I could not get rid of the feeling something was going to happen. I was going to call him back, but I knew he had taken his medications and would not hear the phone. So, I decided to wait until the next morning to call him. I got up at midnight and began driving toward California. I was west of Dallas, on I-10 at about 7:00 when I tried to call him. No answer. I figured he was out feeding the horses and llamas. Called again a little while later. No answer. Decided to wait a little longer. Our friend, Tony, was going to take him to the emergency room that morning. Dixie, Rich's mom, was going to go take care of Rob, Rich's brother, who lives with us. Rich had everything set up. As I was driving west on I-10 my phone began to ring. It was Tony's wife, Connie and she was hysterical. I told her to wait as I pulled the truck off the road. I knew what she was going to say. She said Rich was dead. I could not get it out of my mind the night before that this was going to happen. I guess the Lord was letting me know that this was going to be the result.

Well, I immediately got on the phone with my dispatcher and he gave me instructions on where to take my load and wait for another driver to come and pick it up. Once the load was relayed to another driver I was instructed to go to Lancaster, Texas, near Dallas, where I would be given a load to take up to West Memphis. Once up in West Memphis I was told to go home. I got the news about Rich on Friday morning, February 20, and was home on Sunday morning. That was a very long drive. As I drove toward Dover from Texas I was on the phone a lot, trying to get as much done as I could and trying to keep my mind off of what was going on. My company was so very good to me. I cannot thank them enough for all they did. I have since found out that my dispatcher lost his wife a few years ago and so was very compassionate about my situation. WOW!!

Today is March 28th. I have been home since February 23, taking care of all kinds of things. Dixie has been moved up to my place to live. She will take care of Rob. I have found homes for my horses and llamas. My precious dog was diagnosed with lymphoma and I sent him home to be with the Lord on Thursday, March 19. Seems everything I knew was changed in an instant. Nothing is really the same. But, I have to be grateful to the Lord about Rich. You see, Rich had emotional problems and was not very happy for many years. God graciously said "enough," and took Rich away so he could finally be happy and at rest. I WILL SEE HIM AGAIN!!! And, I will see my Least'un again, too.

After all of this, life goes on. Dixie has moved onto the farm, many things have been prepared for a yard sale, and I am off leave and waiting to be called to go pick up a truck. I had to turn my other truck in back in February. I was given a 30 leave of absence so I could tend to pressing needs. Now I am ready, kind of, to go back on the road. Rob is not really ready for me to go. He is mentally retarded and does not speak. He has not been able to voice how he feels about all that has gone on. I feel for him. I know all of this has to be very confusing to him. I have sat down with him and explained things to him and he seems to understand. But, it still has to be difficult for him.

One happy thing that happened yesterday; I went to the animal shelter in Clarksville and got a dog. I am going to name her Millie. She is a chihuahua mix and just a little cutie pie. I cannot bring her home until Monday. She goes to the vet on Monday to be spayed and I get to pick her up later that day. How about that? I was driving home from Clarksville and was not sure I did the right thing. Once I gave her a name that changed. Now I can't wait to get her home. It will be really nice to have a companion on the road.

Well, guess that is all for now. I will try to keep up this blog, as so many of you would like me to do. I appreciate all your interest in my profession. It is fun to talk about.

So, until we meet again, take care, be safe, and keep the Lord in your headlights!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]