Saturday, June 14, 2008

 

What a Great Week

This was a great week at school. We did a lot of driving, took two of the three tests required to get our CDL's, and left school early on Friday.

June 9: Actually spent some time in the classroom today. Had to take a couple tests and then we headed out to the backing range. The road truck broke down last Friday and is not ready yet. So no driving on the roads today. Darn.

June 10: Today begins the long day trip in the road truck. The Pete is fixed and has been hooked up to a loaded trailer. I started the trip and drove out on Briley Parkway, got off at Dickerson Parkway and got on Hwy 174 going northeast. I drove to Goodlettsville and then it was time for the next person to drive. There are 4 students on this trip. It was fun driving on Briley, but there was a lot of traffic on the off roads and so I was kind of nervous. Did fine though and was ready for my next turn. We ended up driving all the way to Bransford, which is east of Portland. Stopped there for lunch at a little country restaurant. Was good food. We were all hungry. That was the turn around spot to head back home. I took over the driving in Oak Grove, Tennessee and finished up in Gallatin. We got back to the truck campus at about 2:00pm. I was really tired after that. The nerves tend to make me tire out quickly. Went home and crashed for the day. I don't have to be back to school until 6:30 tomorrow night. We get to do our night drive tomorrow.

June 11: WOW! What fun. We went on our night drive and I had an absolute blast. We drove out on I-40 west until we got to Hwy 70. Then did most of the rest of our drive on 70. The roads seemed pretty narrow, but the darkness did not bother me. My shifting was really good and I managed not to blind too many people with the high beams. We stopped at the Flying J truck stop to see how all the trucks park to spend the night. I was amazed at how many big rigs were parked there. Packed in there like sardines. We got back to the truck campus at 12:30 in the morning and I got back to the RV at about 1:15. I was very tired. Do not have to be back to school until noon.

June 12: Got to the truck campus at noon and we practiced backing. The other half of the class is out on their day drive today. It was kind of nice only having a few of us at class today. I practiced my pre-trip inspection. Testing begins tomorrow. Just before quitting time the road truck returned and we got to see the other 4 students for the first time since Monday. Seems like forever.

June 13: We started out today at the main campus and had to fill out some paperwork before beginning testing. Got that done and went to the truck campus. We were suppose to do the pre-trip test using the Freightliner, but then we had both instructors there, so I was asked if I minded doing the pre-trip on the Pete. I said lets go for it and I did great on that test. Scored 100% on the test. Can't beat that. Then got into one of the Volvo's and did the skills test. Had to back in a straight line for 140 feet. Then did an offset backing maneuver. You have to steer the trailer to the right and park in a box made up of cones. Last, I had to do a parallel park. I only lost 2 points on that entire test. So everything a good to go. Next Tuesday or Wednesday I will get to do the road test and Lord willin' that will go good and I will be able to get my CDL.

Comments:
Wow, girl!! You are doing GREAT! I know you're looking forward to the day you head out with your own rig on your first real trip. We're rooting for you!! You go, girl!!

Hugs,
Joan
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]